Types of Conditional IF Statments
Koine Greek used syntax to express Four completely different
concepts. Unfortunately, each concept was translated "if"
in the King James Version of the Bible.
- and it is true -
- maybe you will, maybe you won't -
[the type most English speakers would recognize for "if"]
Finally, occasionally the writer will use the "debater's technique". That means, for example, he will use a "1st class conditional if" to indicate "if I assume this to be true". The context will lead you to understand this is not what the writer actually believes. Instead, he is using a 1st class condition to say "I assume this is true so I can then prove it is false".
1. A "Conditional Clause" is a statement of supposition. The fulfillment of which is assumed to secure the realization of the potential fact expressed in the companion clause.
The First clause gives the supposition and the second clause gives the fulfillment.
2. The clause containing the supposition is called the "Protasis".
3. The clause containing the statement based on the supposition is called "Apodosis".
4. All conditional clauses are categorized on the basis of the attitude they express with reference to reality.
Recognition in the Greek:
a. 1st Class condition - Supposition from the viewpoint of reality
b. 2nd class condition - Supposition from the viewpoint of
c. 3rd class condition - The 'more probable' future condition
d. 4th class condition - The 'less probable' future condition
Joshua_Sozo and Syndein are the Trademarks of Syndein a California DBA of Kenneth Sidley & Associates, Inc., a California Corporation. All rights reserved.
Copyright© Syndein 1982-2010. All rights reserved.
This page is sponsored by Kenneth Sidley, CPA, an Orange County California CPA (949) 706-3133. Please call Ken for high quality, low cost CPA services in Orange County California. This includes audit, review, compilation, tax returns, Quickbooks, and business consulting services.
This page is sponsored by Moxxor For Pain Free Living. Moxxor is a highly concentrated Omega 3 product that has reduced inflammation in this writer. Please go to this website to read more about Moxxor.